Mom's Szkeley Goulash.
You can have Mom's Szkeley Goulash using 11 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mom's Szkeley Goulash
- It’s 2 lb of sauerkraut (imported from Germany or Hungary is best).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of caraway seeds.
- You need 6 strips of bacon.
- You need 1 of onion chopped.
- Prepare 1 of green pepper chopped.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic chopped.
- It’s 1 pound of Hungarian sausage (Polish sausage will work too.).
- You need 1 pound of pork roast, cubed (pork shoulder, pork stew meat etc.).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sweet Hungarian paprika.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of smoked Hungarian paprika.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of hot Hungarian paprika.
Mom's Szkeley Goulash instructions
- First off, this should be made the day before you intend to serve it (New Year's Eve before the party starts) but it'll be good on the same day as well (provided you're not too terribly hungover 😁.).
- Drain and rinse the sauerkraut in a colander.
- Squeeze excess water out of the sauerkraut and put it in a large pot with a lid.
- Add the caraway seeds to the sauerkraut and add just enough water to cover. Mix it up, put the lid on the pot and let it simmer on low to medium heat for at least 3 hours to allow the caraway flavor to soak into the sauerkraut. Stir occasionally..
- After the sauerkraut has been simmering for 3 hours, in a separate skillet (preferably cast iron) cook the bacon until it's well done..
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper to the bacon and sautee till the onions are translucent (about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped garlic to the onion, green pepper and bacon and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the pork to the pan till browned.
- Add the bacon, onion, green pepper, garlic and pork to the pot with the sauerkraut..
- Cut the sausage into bite-size pieces and put it in with the sauerkraut.
- Now let that simmer for at least 2 hours on low to medium heat. Stir occasionally..
- After two hours or so, the pork should be tender enough to cut with a spoon, if it isn't let it simmer a bit longer. But that's when you know it's done. Let it cool down..
- Once it's cooled to about room temperature, add the sour cream, mix well and heat it up again, stirring occasionally..
- At this point you can serve it, but it's better if you let it come back to room temperature and put it in the fridge overnight, heat it up again, and eat it the next day. I guarantee this won't be enough!.
Going Green for Good Health By Eating Superfoods One terrific thing about going green is deciding to take life easier and enjoy yourself along the way. It is possible to do this, even in this hectic world we live in. We must get back to the point where it was a lot better to avoid disease in the first place. A lot of people think nothing of mistreating their bodies now and fixing them with a pill later. It isn’t possible to turn around without hearing about the newest pill to deal with your health problems. There are some pills that help, but only if you make a few necessary modifications in your life. When your body ceases to function properly, you cannot obtain a new one. You must look after yourself while you can do so. Proper nutrition is essential for your body to function at optimum levels. When you put food into your mouth, do you pay attention to the nutritional value or only eat anything tastes good at the time? Do you regularly eat junk food and a lot of fried foods from fast food places? As a lot of folks opt to consume foods full of sugar, starch, and fat, more and more illnesses are found. There is an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a lot others, possibly induced by the foods that are ingested. People are becoming increasingly concerned about their health, and eating better, because they are tired of not feeling well. Nutritious food is now being sold at local grocery and health food shops. Nearly all grocery stores nowadays have organic foods. This food section has what are now recognized as superfoods. That name has been given to 14 foods that have been found to slow down some diseases, or even overturn them. You will see that you think more clearly when you consume these superfoods. Once you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be astonished at how well you will soon feel. Your body will start to work as it was meant to when you supply it with the right nutrition. When this happens, your immune system will easily fight off health conditions. Your daily diet have to contain at least several of these super foods. Foods such as beans and berries are excellent. Next, try adding a few veggies such as broccoli, spinach, or green tea. Whole grains, and oats, along with an assortment of nuts, primarily walnuts. Moreover, you may want to add salmon, turkey, yogurt, soya, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. Eating from this list of foods, you won’t have to worry about your weight again. Green living gives you a healthy eating plan, with all of the right ingredients for better health. Your immune system will be much improved, and your body is likely to become disease free. Ensure your future health by adopting healthy eating habits now.